We’re in a critical time for the future of the planet and Donald Trump could take a critical action to prevent us from properly addressing climate change.
Multiple outlets are reporting that Trump is leaning toward exiting the Paris Climate Accords, though officially we’ve been told to tune in to this awful reality show next week for the answer. It would be consistent with Trump’s position on climate change and his feelings about the fossil fuels that cause it.
Like the Russia scandal, moving the White House’s position on climate change (and moving the climate itself) is only going to happen if we advocate for it.
With that said, I’m going to repurpose this list that I made from Day 99 of this blog. It contains some suggestions for what you can do individually and collectively to lower your carbon footprint:
- Contact your elected officials and demand action and legislation to mitigate the effects of climate change.
- Cut back on your meat consumption.
- Make energy efficiency upgrades to your residence.
- Donate to an NGO with an environmentally positive mission.
- Use public transportation, bike or walk as many places as possible.
- Make your lunch at home and bring it to work.
The urgency of action won’t go away any time soon. We have a real opportunity not just to cool a warming planet, but also to shift industries away from dirty, destructive practices and states to ones where the potential for a bright future shines.